Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thank You

A week ago today we said goodbye to a much loved, incredible man.

To me he was my husband's father, my children's grampa and my other dad.  To others, he was an encourager, a giver of laughter, a prayer warrior, an incredible singer, and an expert hug giver.  He dominated the tennis courts, had a wicked slice, gave Martha Stewart serious competition for the most beautiful yard, was always cooking up something strange, hot and most of the time yummy, and had something funny and cooky to say to make you laugh.

He loved me through my unlovable moments.  Through my almost 10 years of knowing him, he always ambushed me with amazing hugs, a kiss on the head, and ALWAYS an encouraging word.  In my darkest times of postpartum depression, discouraging weight gains, and a near divorce with my husband, he loved me and supported me through it.  I took him for granted.  As I grieve his passing, I am trying not to live in regret.  I am trying to let go.  So I'd like to say thank you to Sterling, for the many things I never thanked him for.

~

Thank you for accepting me as your daughter-in-love, even when I was not lovable.  

Thank you for trying to cook meals that my picky taste would eat.  I know that had to be boring!  

Thank you for raising an incredible, loving, fun, steady man for me to marry .

Thank you for loving your wife and being loyal to her.  Thank you for spoiling her.

Thank you for enjoying your grandchildren, when they destroyed your house and broke the sound barrier in the most annoying ways.

Thank you for not giving up on my husband.

Thank you for loving and adoring Jesus every single day of your life.

Thank you for the legacy you left for your grandchildren.  

Thank you for keeping your body healthy, and showing that to my children.

Thank you for encouraging me to keep running, when I wanted to quit.

Thank you for your tenderness when I lost my baby.  I remember your long, sweet hug.

Thank you for being silly and having fun, I often needed the reminder to laugh.

Thank you for smiling and telling jokes, even when your body was giving out.

Thank you for having the courage to fight for your sons, even when you were scared.

Thank you for telling me "you've never seen me more beautiful", even when I could not see any beauty in myself.  

Thank you for growing me pink tulips in your front yard.  I never told you how special that made me feel, and how I looked forward to them every spring.  That made me feel treasured.  

~



Sterling, I wish I could hug you one more time and tell you I love you.  My heart misses you.  And I hope you knew that I loved you.  

Enjoy your reward, Sterling. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sweet husband would have deeply appreciated your precious thoughts...I know I do....and I love you, too.