Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What's My Number?

During this Lent season, I have been fasting from weighing myself everyday.  It might not sound like something to fast from, but for me, the number that I saw every morning determined my mood, how I felt about myself, my identity for that day.

I didn't realize it until one Sunday morning, everyone woke up cheerful and happy, myself included.  Then I stepped on the scale, and I was up a few pounds due to the heavenly margarita, buffalo wings, popcorn and coke the night before.  I finally realized, after my mood plummeted and I became angry and discouraged, that the number I saw on that scale became who I was.  I was no longer a prized daughter of my King.  I was no longer the loved wife of my husband, or the Mommy to my blessings.  I was a number.  And if it didn't fall below a line I had set, I punished myself.

I know that's not what my Father wants for me.

So, I weigh once a week.  ONCE.  In my journey in this weight-loss, I have weighed everyday for a year.

I love the freedom it has brought back to me.   I am trying to focus on my true identity, which is a journey God has had me on for over 8 years.  Now I feel like I have another piece of the puzzle.

And it's not a number.

2 comments:

Brandon Heckler said...

Wow... Abbye - great post! There are so many people in the same place, putting their identity in something that will disappoint. I'll be sharing this today with some friends! Hope to catch up with you and Tate sometime soon. - Heckler

The Parkers said...

I agree with Heckler! The scale does not determine who you are. You are beautiful!!